I see you from my window

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Catching Cool Breezes Festival vs Hari Gawai

28-2-2010 Sunny 9.09
I don't celebrate both.

Don't try searching "Catching Cool Breezes Festival" through Google since you are definitely definitely not going to find anything. Honestly, I don't know whether if this festival do exists, the only thing i know about this celebration, is which written in the book " Snow Flower and The Secret Fan" by Lisa See.

She described in the book of when and how the weather is during the celebration. It's during the hottest time in the year when the stores from the previous harvest are nearly gone and the new harvest is not yet ready ( most chinese people are farmers during that era). The men were working in the field and which married women ( the lowest in the household) are sent back to their home. The women can only now meet their friends and family. Gathering with them ( only females) at the second floor of the house, they sit besides the window for cool wind and "chitchat" together. In other words, "Catching Cool Breezes Festival" can be said to be a simple family reunion.

And next Hari Gawai, a popular celebration among Sarawakians especially Ibans and Bidayuhs
on 1 June every year. Gawai is both a religious and social occasion to thank God for good harvest. The people will return to their hometown and celebrate with their family for the celebration. However, I had never tried once celebrationg Hari Gawai. So perhaps one fine day, our English teacher can tell us more about it, or even celebrate with us too...hahahaha...


Is this beautiful? I don't know and either understand. No comment.























Dancing in the Gawai Festival.


posted by agps at 5:09 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home